Friday 29 January 2016

Week 4: January sketching challenge

This update will be my second to last, as my 'January sketching challenge' come slowly to a close.

The pieces I have written this week are:

This one starts of quiet with pizz. strings and flutes on top. It then developes into a little fanfare towards the end.


I think I was inspired by Ennio Morricone's recent score for the Hateful 8 with this one. I also wanted to play around with some string techniques such as glissandi and col legno to create a chilling atmosphere.


I played a round with Waterphone and various pitched percussion elements to create a slightly other-worldly soundscape.


The idea here was to use a large crescendo of dimished chords in horns over a pedal to create a menancing sound. The repetitious timpani beat provides the constant forward movement on a journey into the unknown.

I wanted to represent the passing of time as well as the feeling of laziness. I used the harp to provide the constant 'ticking' (similar to the monotonous timpani of the previous piece) and a melody that stays in one place more or less.


I made use of the alto flute for the melody here as well as stopped horns for the little impetus halfway through.


Another sad piece in which I tried to symbolise the feeling of loss using muted violins in the high register.


So this is actually my final weekly round-up! However, I have still 3 more pieces to compose until the end of the month. I will be back with a final blog entry to hopefully celebrate the successful completion of my challenge!

-PW

No comments:

Post a Comment