Friday 15 January 2016

Week 2: January sketching challenge

This is the 2nd update of my 'January sketching challenge' and so far I have managed to compose every day. However, this second week proved to be more demanding than the first probably due to a lack of ideas. I really feel that I am running out of ideas now, as I want to avoid repeating myself. But the fact that I have managed to write, regardless of feeling uninspired, is a good sign and showed me that a lot is possible with a bit of motivation and sheer determination.

Now to the pieces of this week:


A melancholic sounding piece using harp and solo cello. I came up with the idea for the harp first, which then suggested a weighty solo melody on top, to contrast with the delicate harp.


I wanted something heavy and and with a lot of weight to it for this one. Originally I had planned to use electric guitar for the opening bass figure but then decided against it.

Composing waltzes is a bit of a passion of mine! (probably due to Chopin and Brahms)



Waterphone, tremolo strings and the downward shaping piano melody give this one a bit of a spooky and omnious feel. I thought ending it with a big organ chord that slowly fades-in would be nice.


I wanted to create a repetitive feel and use bassoons as I tend to neglect them a bit. The general idea emerged after listening to a Michael Nyman piece.


I had no idea or inspiration what-so-ever before writing this one. That is probably why it is inconspicuously bobbing along with its comical sound.



I don't think this is my best effort. I wanted to capture a slightly more futuristic sound and this is the result!


That is it for week number 2, hopefully I can keep it up like this and write 7 different pieces for the next week. I am nearly halfway there!

-PW

No comments:

Post a Comment