Friday 22 January 2016

Week 3: January sketching challenge

Although, I am more than halfway there with my 'January sketching challenge', I can't say that it is getting any easier!
However, it is a good feeling to have stuck at it thus far and I am confident that I can make it to the end now as the finish line is slowly getting closer.

Anyway here are the pieces of music I have written this week:


Starting with a sad one, just a piano melody with some strings.


This one is the complete opposite. I tried to write theme music that sounds childish in a way using xylophone, piano and clarinet among others.


This one sounds unsettling, I tried to use brass cords together with electric guitar to achieve the effect.
 
This is only the accompaniment of the following piece as I was very busy with other things that day and just ran out of time!


This is effectively part 2. I tried to evoke a pastoral feeling by using a foxtrot rhythm, trombones and solo trumpet.

I have cheated a bit here as this is an arrangement and not a composition of mine. The song is called 'Breakin' the Chainz' by the Swedish rock band Crashdiet. A lot of thought went into this nevertheless, as I had to overcome the obstacles of arranging a rock song for solo piano.


I really wanted to use the electric guitar here to see what kind of atmosphere I could create with a guitar solo. An experiment, however I am quite happy with it.


This concludes the weekly round up of my challenge but I will be back next Friday with seven fresh pieces of music.

-PW

No comments:

Post a Comment